post-doctoral position

Mario_Fragata at UQTR.UQuebec.CA Mario_Fragata at UQTR.UQuebec.CA
Wed Jun 2 11:23:38 EST 1999

Post-doctoral position for structure-function studies in the photosynthetic
membrane

A post-doctoral position is available for a period of one year starting
September 1999 for the study of
(a) the structural and functional aspects of the anionic and nonionic lipids
in the thylakoid membrane
of plant chloroplasts (lipid-protein interactions), and (b) the role of the
thylakoid lipids on the protection
of the photosynthetic membrane against the deleterious effects of
temperature.
   In particular, we aim at elucidating how specific thylakoid lipids
intervene in the function of the different protein complexes involved in the
light reactions of photosynthesis.  For this purpose we use (i) purified
protein complexes reconstituted into lipid membranes, (ii) thylakoid
membranes selectively depleted of specific thylakoid lipids by treatment
with cyclodextrins, and (iii) thylakoid membranes with protein complexes
selectively inactivated by heat and chemical modification,
  The experimental procedures include, for example, oxygen evolution and
electron transfer measurements, variable fluorescence, Fourier transform
infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, polarized fluorescence, linear dichroism, and
molecular modeling.

For further details or application, please contact:

Dr. Mário Fragata
Départment de Chimie et Biologie,
Section de Chimie,
Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières,