Photosynthesis discussion group - Chlorophyll C

Bangar Raju bbraju at
Mon Mar 22 10:47:10 EST 1999

     >On Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:30:59 +0100

     >Tomas Kucera  wrote

     >Subject: Chlorophyll C - question

     >does anybody of you know a very simple method to determine
     >qualitatively chlorophyll c? It means to distinguish between an alga
     >containing a+c and an alga containing only a. How it behaves with
     >absorption spectroscopy? And what about TLC - what are the best solvents
     >for separation and for extraction? I would appreciate if anybody could
     >advise me. Thanks.

     >Tomas Kucera

 We have recently published few papers on the method and  applications of
the "spectrum reconstruction method" for a  quantitaive determination of
the pigment content in LHC II, LH 1,
LH 2 and also some bacterial reaction centers. I suggest you to  refer to
the following papers for more details:

1.K. R. Naqvi et al, Spectrochimica Acta Part A, 53, 2229 (1997).
2.C. Buechel et al , Spectrochimica Acta Part A, 54, 719 (1998).
3. J. B. Arellano et al, Photochem. Photobiol., 68, 84 (1998).

Best wishes
Bangar Raju

B. Bangar Raju
Department of Chemistry