Post-Doctoral position

Roger Isaacson risaacson at physics.ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 12 19:26:26 EST 2001

UC San Diego, Department of Physics

A postdoctoral position is available in X-ray crystallography in the
Feher/Okamura biophysics group. The project will focus on the structure
determination of proteins involved in Bacterial Photosynthesis. The main
emphasis will be on the photosynthetic unit (PSU) which is an integral
membrane protein, composed of the reaction center and the light harvesting
complex (LH1) associated with it. In addition, there are other projects that
deal with the structure determination of various (proton and electron
transfer) reaction center mutants, whose functions we are investigating in
detail.

Our laboratory has been involved in research on bacterial photosynthesis for
over three decades. We use a multidisciplinary approach, involving a variety
of techniques, spanning the fields of physics (e.g. magnetic and optical
spectroscopies), biochemistry (protein purifications and crystallizations)
and biology (construction of site directed mutants). The applicant will have
the opportunity to acquire the knowledge of all these techniques.

Please submit CV and names of three references to:

George Feher, Research Professor
University of California, San Diego
Department of Physics, 0319
9500 Gilman Drive