Faculty positions available at Brock University

Art van der Est art at zaphod.chem.brocku.ca
Mon Jan 15 15:09:17 EST 2001

         Join Doug Bruce and Art van der Est at Brock University,
Canada's fastest
growing centre for Photosynthesis Research! We have two prestigeous Canada
Research Chair faculty positions  available which we would like to fill with
candidates who will augment our strengths in  the area of Photosynthesis
Please pass this message along to anyone you know who might be interested.

         Canada Research Chairs in Plant Biotechnology and Pathology

         The Department of Biological Sciences seeks applications for two NSERC
Canada Research Chair positions in Plant Biotechnology and Plant Pathology
effective July 1, 2001. One appointment  will be at the Tier I level and one at
the Tier II level. These appointments will support current endeavours in
Biotechnology and/or in Oenology and Viticulture. Applicants for the Plant
Biotechnology position should  have broad experience in the  use of molecular
genetic approaches to the understanding of plant biochemical, physiological or
developmental processes. Applicants for the Plant Pathology position should
have extensive experience in host-pathogen interactions. Expertise in
grapevine biology and/or photosynthesis would build on  existing strengths at
Brock  University and would be an asset. Tier I applicants are expected to be
leaders in  their field, have a strong  international research presence and
excellent teaching records including extensive experience in the supervision
of graduate and undergraduate research students. Tier II applicants should
have attained international recognition and show very strong research and
teaching potential. Both Tier I and  Tier II positions come with significant
discretionary research funding, additional funding through the Canadian
Foundation for Innovation  (CFI) for equipment, and reduced teaching loads.
For information on Canada  Research Chairs, please see http://www.chairs.gc.ca.
In addition to standard facilities, specialized facilities available o the
successful  applicant include research vineyards, a pilot plant winery, mass
spectrometers (FAB and Ion Trap HPLC with  electrospray source),
high field time resolved EPR and picosecond time resolved  fluorescence
spectrometers.  Please submit a curriculum vitae, a statement of research
interests and plans, a  statement of teaching ideas and a list of potential
referees to:
Doug Bruce, Search Committee Chair,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Brock University,
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada L2S 3A1.
E-mail: dbruce at spartan.ac.brocku.ca
Telephone: (905) 688 5550 extension 3826
Fax: (905) 688 1855

Review of applications will begin on March 31, 2001 and continue until suitable
candidates have been identified.   Brock University is committed to a positive
action policy aimed at reducing  gender imbalance in faculty. Qualified women
candidates are especially  encouraged to apply. Applicants from outside of
Canada are eligible  and Canadian expatriates are encouraged to apply.
Brock is an actively growing  University located in the heartof the beautiful
Niagara Peninsula. More  information concerning Brock University can be
found on the University website <www. BrockU.ca>.

--
Prof. Art van der Est
Department of Chemistry

Tel. 905-688-5550 ext 4602(office) or 3410(lab)
FAX  905-682-9020
email: avde at brocku.ca

---