Public Library of Science initiative

Nobody nobody at
Wed Mar 7 19:42:17 EST 2001

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base=3D"" src=3D"" id=3D"0" charset=3D"iso-8859-1=
I want to bring to your attention an important message that follows***. I
am in favor of&nbsp; articles on &quot;Photosynthesis&quot; to be
available on the Internet. The journals and Societies of today need to be
receptive to this need. I would appreciate it if you would please bring
what follows to the attention of various societies (such as Am Soc Plant
Physiol; Am Soc of Photobiol; Biophysical Society of America;
International Society of Photosynthesis Research, etc), Chief-Editors,
and Editorial Board Members of various journals that publish research
papers in photosynthesis (such as Biochemistry; Biophysical Journal;
Photosynthesis Research; Plant Physiology, etc etc) and the various
publishers (including Academic Press; Kluwer, etc, etc).<br>
concerns an international initiative to make scientifically published
materials freely available online. This is an important initiative that
will allow scientists to exchange and to search (published) ideas in a
much simpler manner in the future.&quot;<br>
crucial for inter-disciplinary fields such as &quot;Photosynthesis&quot;,
and I hope that researchers&nbsp; and&nbsp; students&nbsp; of
&quot;photosynthesis&quot; can be part of it.<br>
****Message from:</blockquote><br>
University of Cambridge<br>
Patrick O. Brown, Stanford University<br>
Mary Case, Association of Research Libraries<br>
Michael B. Eisen, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and UC Berkeley<br>
Lee Hartwell, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center<br>
Marc Kirschner, Harvard University<br>
Chaitan Khosla, Stanford University<br>
Roel Nusse, Stanford University<br>
Richard J. Roberts, New England Biolabs<br>
Matthew Scott, Stanford University<br>
Harold Varmus, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center<br>
As of February 25, more than four thousand scientists from 91<br>
countries have joined you in signing the open letter in support of<br>
the Public Library of Science initiative. <font size=3D4 color=3D"#0000FF">A=
a result of this<br>
initiative, several scientific publishers have already decided to<br>
adopt the policy advocated in the open letter, and almost every<br>
publisher and scientific society is discussing it. Yet, most life<br>
scientists are still unaware of this initiative, and many of those<br>
who do know of its existence have a distorted view of the proposal<br>
and its purpose.</font><br>
The breadth and depth of support for this initiative from the<br>
scientific community will determine its success. We believe that
your help in informing your colleagues about this effort, and<br>
encouraging them to support it, the open letter can be published in<br>
May with the signatures of 50,000 scientists.<br>
To achieve this goal, we each need to reach out to at least ten of<br>
our colleagues. We would therefore like to ask you to consider two<br>
1. Send an email message to all the scientific colleagues in your<br>
address book (using the text attached at the bottom of this
or a modified version of it, or use your own language).<br>
2. Spend an hour or two of your time in the next week talking to<br>
colleagues at your own and other institutions, explaining to them
reasons that you chose to support the initiative, and encouraging<br>
them to join you in signing the letter. (Let them know that they
sign the letter online at:
Please also make a special effort to talk directly with the editors<br>
and publishers of journals that are important to you, informing
of your support of this initiative, and encouraging them to adopt
policy that the letter advocates. We would greatly appreciate
about any such efforts you are able to make.<br>
Your time and effort can make the crucial difference in the success<br>
of this initiative.&quot;<br>

face=3D"System" size=3D5 color=3D"#800080">Govindjee
face=3D"AGaramond Bold" color=3D"#800080">Professor
Emeritus of Biophysics and of Plant Biology <br>
[In theDepartments of Plant Biology and of Biochemistry<br>
&nbsp;and in the Center of Biophysics and Computational Biology]<br>
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, MC-116; 265 Morrill Hall, 505 South Goodwin
Avenue, Urbana,IL 61801-3707,USA<br>
</u></font><font face=3D"Symbol"
address</b>: 2401 South Boudreau, Urbana,IL 61801-6655, USA<br>
noble thoughts come to you from every side&quot;<br>
for authors of books in &quot;Advances in Photosynthesis and
Respiration&quot;: <br>
[1]<a href=3D""
[2]<a href=3D""