Visiting professor position (inorganic or physical) at Haverford

Julio de Paula jdepaula at
Wed Mar 28 15:13:55 EST 2001

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Dear colleagues:

I ask your assistance in identifying possible candidates for
Haverford College.  If suitable candidates come to mind, I would appreciate
it if you
would either e-mail Prof. Robert Scarrow (rscarrow at their
names, or forward this message to them.

Thank you for your time.

Julio de Paula
Haverford College

The advertisement appeared in this week's Chemical and Engineering News
(March 26)

HAVERFORD COLLEGE seeks full-time Visiting Assistant Professor of
inorganic or physical Chemistry to teach introductory and
junior-level courses from 8/2001 to 5/2002. Ph.D. is required.
Courses to be taught are described at
Send CV, statement of teaching interests, and names of 3 references
(w/ address, phone and e-mail) to Dr. Robert Scarrow, Haverford
College, 370 Lancaster Ave., Haverford, PA 19041. Evaluation of
applications begins April 9. HC is an EO/AA employer.

The advertisement also appears, with additional details, at the
following web site:

Additional comments:

The position comes with a full time teaching load; we do not expect
the person who fills this position to carry on any research program
at Haverford, although we would try to be supportive by providing lab
space, etc. for a candidate who wishes to carry out a small amount of

In the past six years, visiting assistant professors in our
department have had a good track record of obtaining tenure-track
positions at other predominantly undergraduate institutions (Vassar
College, University of New Haven, Penn State-Berks Campus, and the U.S.
Naval Academy); these were all positions they interviewed for while
working at Haverford.

Haverford is well situated for two career (even two chemist)
families, since it is in a close suburb of Philadephia.