Photosynthesis Efficiency Matrix

Scott Jewell scott at diamondrf.com
Tue Oct 16 14:37:43 EST 2001

I am relatively ignorant regarding your field of science, and I am
curious to know how well pine needles compare to other trees in the
world for
their ability to photosynthesize. Is there a chart or matrix comparing
different trees? As you know, the needles don't have much surface area
compared to a big leaf, but there are lots of needles per tree. Also,
in areas where large numbers of trees lose their leaves in fall is
there a noticible change in oxygen levels or air quality?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Scott Jewell
Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado

---