Martin Kamen is no more

Govindjee gov at
Mon Sep 2 07:48:28 EST 2002

Dear Photosynthesis Colleagues:
It is my sad duty to inform you that  our dear friend  Martin Kamen,
co-discoverer of C-14, and one of the great pioneers of photosynthisis,
both bacterial and plant, passed away on August 31, 2002. This information
came to me yesterday from Andy Benson, who heard about it from David
We plan to organize the publication of his obituary in 2003 in
Photosynthesis Research.
Editor, Historical Corner
Photosynthesis Research

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Martin
From: "Andrew A. Benson" <abenson at>
Date: Sun, September 1, 2002 21:13
To: Govindjee <gov at>

David Kamen just phoned me from Santa Barbara   Martin died early
yesterday August 31.   I don't have Howard's email address on this
machine.  If have it, let him know.   Otherwise I will contact him
tomorrow from my machine at the office.   Howard will know many  who  are
interested in the news.    Cheers,   Andy

Professor Emeritus
265 Morrill Hall
505 South Goodwin Avenue
FAX: 217-244-7246