No subject

Sun Apr 10 16:01:22 EST 2005

its present form, without photosynthesis. Thus=20
chemosynthesis could not have come before photosynthesis.=20

Allen, J.F. (1995) Nature 376, 26 and references therein.

Of course, way back on the primitive earth the whole system=20
may have started using energy from a source we do not now=20
know. Darwin understood the important implication that if=20
such organisms should arise today ("in a small pond") they=20
would be instantly gobbled up by the more successful=20
organisms alive today. If chemosynthesis arose first, it is=20
most unlikely to have been of the kind we now see.

John Allen

John F. Allen
Department of Plant Cell Biology
Lund University