Sad News About Yoshihiko Fujita From S. Itoh

Govindjee gov at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 7 03:56:53 EST 2005

I am copying here the sad news received from Dr. S. Itoh regarding Dr. Y.
Fujita. We are grieved to hear this sad news about a wonderful and one of
the greatest scientists I ever knew.
Govindjee
Historical Corner Editor, Photosynthesis Research
=======================================

Regarding Dr. Yoshihiko Fujita

    We were informed of the tragic news that Yoshihiko Fujita passed away on
24th Febrary, 2005 after 4 months of hospitalization. He, as a pioneer of
cyanobacterial resarch, worked on the chromatic adaptation of
cyanobacteria and contributed significantly for the establishement of
physiolgy of cyanobacteria. He was living on the beautiful coast of Obama
city that is middle northern coast of Japan together with his charming
wife Kyoko after several years research in Fukui Prefectural University
where he moved from NIBB in Okazaki.
     I can recall how he enjoyed experiments with very carefull analysis,
drank together with people singing songs, discussed and argued on many
subjects. Any messages of condolence and support can be sent to Mrs. Kyoko
Fujita, 26-31-12 kougasaki, Obama city, Fukui, 917-0107  JAPAN.

   We have lost a colleague with a warm and enthusiastic nature and a great
sense of humor and joy. Dr Fujita made significant contributions to our
understanding of photosynthesis.  We will miss him greatly.

Shigeru Itoh
itoh at bio.phys.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Tel 52-789-2883/2881
Prof. Photo-bioenergetics group
Div. Material Science, Graduate School of Science
Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya 0464-8602 Japan

--
Mailing address: (Office)Govindjee, Professor Emeritus, Biochemistry,
Biophysics and Plant Biology, Department of Plant Biology, University of

Telephones: 217-337-0627 (home); 217-333-1794 (office); fax: 217-244-7246
E-mail: gov at life.uiuc.edu and govindjee2002 at yahoo.com;
--------

---