[Photosynthesis] query on quantum efficiency and yield

Mesh via photosyn%40net.bio.net (by parameshwaran from gmail.com)
Tue Aug 19 10:01:27 EST 2008

Hi All,

I've a query in understanding quantum yield and quantum efficiency

quantum yield can be defined as the ability with which the plants trap
photons whereas quantum efficiency can be ability with which plants
transfer the trapped energy towards photochemistry.

is the above defnition true?

Also
Can I use a PAM pulse modulated flurometer to measure both the
parameter? My problem is I've few plant species and i want to see
which one is doing its best in the same environmental condition. Can I
use these two parameter to judge the best out of the list I've?

Thanks & Regards,
Parameshwaran V