Elodea replacement, reply

Char A Bezanson bezanson at STOLAF.EDU
Wed Aug 23 10:55:23 EST 1995

Char A. Bezanson (bezanson at stolaf.edu)
School Nature Area Project
St. Olaf College
Northfield,  MN  55057

On 27 Jul 1995, Mike Kolotila x3887 wrote:

> Hi;
> Over the last year or so the quality of Elodea to perform well in our
> photosynthesis lab is waning.  We are looking for a replacement for
> Elodea, hopefully one that is easy to maintain and/or obtain that will
> generate O2 quickly and in reasonable volumes for a micro-Warburg (albeit
> bailing wire and gum) apparatus.  I know that I am probably asking for
> the moon, the stars and the sun, but hey, you never know.  Any help in
> appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

Mike:  We've had the same problem in the past.  If you're using the
really simple inverted-tube-and-pitet apparatus, other fresh leaves
actually work quite well.  I've had good luck with bean leaves (grown in
the greenhouse) as well as corn.  The trick is to use young, healthy
leaves and to get enough plant material in the tube.  Whether or not you
need to standardize this, of course, depends on the experiment's design.
Good luck!