Relational Databases to ID plants

Richard W.H. Price rwhp100 at
Thu Dec 7 12:29:42 EST 1995

On 6 Dec 1995, Arthur Schwarz wrote:

> Hello,  Has anyone out there used relational databases to teach plant
> identification?  If so, I would like to hear from you.  What problems,
> pitfalls etc. did you encounter?  What advantages did you see over the
> traditional keys?  I am interested in the names of suppliers of such
> software as well as how well they work.  I am aware of the products &
> services provided by XID of Pullman, Washington.  I am thinking of
> developing such a database using the XID software.  Does anyone else use it?
> Please e-mail me.
> Thanks,
> Art Schwarz
> schwarza at
I am not sure that I understand what you mean by <<relational software>>.
However I suggest that you get in touch with Dr Richard Pankhurst at
the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, UK (richard at He has
developed some very nice software called PANKEY for the identification of

Richard Price
Homerton College
Cambridge CB2 2PH, UK
Voice:+44-(0)1223-411-141 ext.233