Internet Seminar for (Plant) Educators

GVSMeck gvsmeck at aol.com
Fri Nov 3 00:40:20 EST 1995

Hope we don't offend anyone in your newsgroup by posting this, but some of
you educators may be interested in an upcoming seminar, and we certainly
didn't want to exclude the plant biology community . . .

The Global Village Schools Institute cordially invites you and your
colleagues
to a hands-on seminar for educators, entitled

     -----------------------
HARNESS THE INTERNET  ------ November 17th - 19th ------
     -----------------------

The faculty is three educators at the forefront of educational uses of the
Internet:
 * Robert Bortnick, Associate Supt., Arlington Heights, District #59, IL
 * Hal Gardner, Technology Director, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, NC
 * Jim Mecklenburger, Executive Director, Global Village School Institute

Educators of all brands, public and private, are invited to explore the
Internets's incredible potential for learning.  The Global Village Schools
Institute will be conducting Harness the Internet, the third in an ongoing
series of  three-day hands-on seminars November 17-19 at the University of
Maryland.

Registration is limited to 40 persons because of laboratory space;
currently, less than a dozen spaces are available. [Subsequent events are
being planned.] All levels of proficiency are welcome.

Time: 1pm Friday, November 17,  thru noon, Sunday November 19
Location: University of Maryland, College Park (adult education center)
 * Maximum of 40 participants due to limited lab space *

For information or to register, email   gvsmeck at aol.com
                                                  or
shmeck at cats.ucsc.edu
                                                  or call   703-823-6853
                                                  or FAX   703-823-6819

---------------------------

our WORKING AGENDA is as follows:
Harnessing The Internet, November 17-19, 1995

Please Note:  We call this a "working agenda" because we intend to alter
the agenda, as needed, to suit the needs of participants.

We consider this event not a "workshop" (in which everyone learns
precisely what the faculty chooses) but a seminar (where there is freedom
to alter the agenda to suit the needs of participants, and people presume
to learn from each other as well as from the faculty.) No two seminars are
ever alike.

While we have a general outline, we will rearrange the agenda as it suits
the needs of attendees.  For example, on Saturday, when people are working
hands-on in the laboratory, some people may wish free time to explore
while others are learning the basics of navigation and still others may
wish to meet for a few minutes to work together to design a home page.

At the end of Saturday, we will offer a series of discussions for Sunday
morning based on the interests of the attendees.On Sunday, we meet in two
or three groups to discuss issues on people's minds.

Friday, November 17, 1995
Why are we here?

1:00     Opening Session; Jim Mecklenburger presiding.

		1.  The phenomenon of "The Internet"
			Where it came from; what it is; where it's going.
		2.  Icebreaker Activity
			Who are we all?  What do we each want from this
event?  What

 			experience do people bring?
		 3.  The Faculty
			Who is the faculty?  What experiences do they
bring?
		 4.  General discussion:
			Is the Internet just another educational fad?

2:00  Housekeeping details, expectations, objectives, hand-out materials.

2:15    Once over lightly:  Quick demos of the array of functions of the
Internet.
	FTP, Gopher, ListServ, Usenet Newsgroups, World Wide Web and
others

2:45    Once over lightly, part 2:  Discussion of connection issues.
	School networks, home computers, direct connections, commercial
services, etc.

3:00  Break

3:15  Two school districts' experiences: An overview; Bob Bortnick and Hal
Gardner presiding.
	Arlington Heights, District #59 and Charlotte-Mecklenburg are two
of the nation's
	school districts making major commitments to uses of The Internet.

	How did this come about?  What issues surfaced right away?  What
impact have they 		 each had to date?  What are their plans
for the next months and years?  What do teachers currently use the
Internet for?  Students?  Administrators?

	World Wide Web sites are demonstrated, for each district.

4:15   First look at Issues and General Discussion.
	1.    What are the ways that teachers and students use (or can
use) the Internet?  At 	    	      	  	       the lesson level.
At the course level.  In the out-of-class mode.  As administrative
           support.  What new opportunities are possible now that the
Internet is available?

	2.  What are the policy implications, at the classroom, building
and district levels?
	      What unique issues arise because of the Internet?

	3.  What are the implications for staff development?  What support
helps people use
	     the Internet well?  How can the Internet contribute to staff
development?

	4.  What, if anything, can use of the Internet replace?

	5.  Other issues

5:00  Some Celebrated Innovative Uses of The Internet.

5:20   Summing Up; Overnight Reading

5:30   Adjourn

Saturday, November 18, 1995
Roll up your trowsers and get your feet wet

9:00   Introduction to the day's activities.  Introduction to the
laboratory.

It is our intention, during this day, to give each person as much on-line
time as they select.  Accordingly, faculty will make presentations on
various topics.  But, if one or several people wish to explore on their
own, this will be encouraged.  Faculty who are not presenting can meet
with smaller groups.  Written materials and reference materials will be
available to guide independent learners.

Our goals are:

	1) To assure that everyone has at least tasted the vast array of
activities and
	     opportunities on the Internet.
	2) To assure that each person has used some of the leading
applications currently
	     available on and for the Internet.
	3) To raise questions about the future of teaching, learning,
administration, schools,
	     communities, curriculum and other "staples" of schooling, in
the era in which
	     students and teachers have access to the Internet.
	4) To answer questions, as they arise.
	5) To suggest other activities, post-conference, worth additional
exploration.

9:15 - 12:30
1:30 -  5:30    We have prepared 10 Topics as points of departure for the
day:

	Topic I.    Finding Great Information on the Internet.  Guided
tour of selected resources.
 		   Gopher, Archie, Veronica.  WWW Browsers. Search
Engines.  Usenet.
		   Listservs.  FTP.  Telnet.

	Topic II.   Interacting with People on the Internet:  Local
Network interactions: Finger.
		  "Talk".  Zephyr programs.   Worldwide interactions:
Finger.  E-mail.  IRC.
		   MUDs.  Teleconerencing.  Commerce on the Internet.
Guided tour of
		   interesting  capabilities.

	Topic III.   Using Topics I and II to join and form task-  and
interest-oriented Groups on
		     the Internet.

	Topic IV.   Learning via the Internet: How teacherless, guided,
coached, and organized
	 	    learning activities can all take place, often at the
same time, in a cooperative            networked learning community.  What
happens to these distinctions in such an        environment?

	Topic V.    Teaching via the Internet:  Local & worldwide e-mail
coaching & networking.
   		    Providing Courses on IRC.  Running Listservs.
Creating and Moderating
		    Newsgroups.  Publishing WWW, FTP, and Gopher sites.

	Topic VI.  Sharing, Publishing, and Presence on the Internet:
Your students' own
		     personal Web sites or FTP servers?  A place for them
and you to do
		     "business"?  A place to "politic"?

	Topic VII.  Today's "Hot" Internet Sites:  These are some of the
places that excite users 	  	        	     and represent
the next era of Internet practice. HotWired.  IUMA.  MIT's
		     Media Lab.

	Topic VIII.  Resources especially for Educators on the Internet.
AskEric.  Getty Center's 	   	      Website.  Museum archives.
University and Government Internet presence.             Homework Helper.

	Topic IX.    Entertainment on the Internet:  A Scavanger Hunt on
the World Wide Web.
		      Or lose yourself in a Multi-User Dimension.  Check
out the Inernet
		      Underground Music Archive.  Have fun!

	Topic X.     Pornography and illegal activity on the Internet:
Responding sensibly to real
 		      concerns.

5:30   Topics will be generated and selected for Sunday's roundtable
discussions.

The laboratory will be open from 6:30 to 9:30 for anyone wishing further
opportunity to explore.  Faculty will be present.

Sunday, November 19, 1995
What does it all mean?

9:00 - 10:45	Meeting in roundtable discussion groups.

10:45 - 11:15	Each of the roundtables will report to the others in a
brief session.

11:15 - 11:45	Faculty will offer closing remarks and respond to
questions.

Closing Remarks:  James Mecklenburger
Educating Jessica's Generation: The Art of the Educationally Possible in
the Global Village

12:00		Adjourn.