image analysis

Kevin Gould k.gould at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Tue Nov 7 00:38:30 EST 1995

I am curious to know what image analysis packages other workers use in conjunction with Macintosh
computers.

My students and I regularly require the dimensions of cells and tissues from sections of fruit and leaves.
We also study  leaf shape, asking such questions as "what proportion of a leaf area is variegated".  The
package we have been using is  the public domain freeware 'Image 1.57'.  This works, but for our
purposes it is often clumsy; images requre considerable editing, for example, before the package can
identify discrete cells to tell us their cross sectional area.

*   Dr. Kevin S.Gould	                                         *
*   School of Biological Sciences                          *
*   University of Auckland                                    *
*   ph:  64-9-3737599 ext 7298                             *
*   fax:  64-9-3737416                                           *
*   email: k.gould at auckland.ac.nz                       *