LEAF ABSCISSION

Jonathan B. Marder MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il
Thu Nov 23 01:48:24 EST 1995

In article <MAILQUEUE-101.951120142250.480 at chi1.fsufay.edu>,
   dhaas at CHI1.UNCFSU.EDU ("David Haas") wrote:
>A botany student of mine came up with an interesting observation
>this AM.  As he was raking leaves over the week end (mostly pecan) he
noticed
>that the leaflets appeared to have abscissed in a manner
>similar to the petiole.  It seems that I also made the same
>observation years ago but never gave it much thought.  Now after
>thinking about it I am wondering if this happens in all or most
>compound leaves.   Are there any trees where the leaflets fall before
>the leaves?    Have any of you noticed this?  Comments

Even in simple leaves, you often find abscision zones at both ends of
the petiole.

Jonathan B. Marder                 ,      Department of Agricultural Botany
E-mail: MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il     |      The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Phone: (08 or +9728) 481918        | /\/  Faculty of Agriculture
Fax:   (08 or +9728) 467763        |/  \  P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL