LEAF ABSCISSION

Ross Koning Koning at ecsuc.ctstateu.edu
Wed Nov 29 09:02:15 EST 1995

At 11:23 AM 11/20/95 -0800, David Haas wrote:
>A botany student of mine came up with an interesting observation
>this AM.  As he was raking leaves over the week end (mostly pecan) he noticed
>that the leaflets appeared to have abscissed in a manner
>similar to the petiole.  It seems that I also made the same
>observation years ago but never gave it much thought.  Now after
>thinking about it I am wondering if this happens in all or most
>compound leaves.   Are there any trees where the leaflets fall before
>the leaves?    Have any of you noticed this?  Comments

Dave,

I have noticed this also in walnut, sumac, locust, and several other
truly compound leaved tree species.  I think it more the rule
than the exception based on my limited (temperate zone) observations.

I haven't noticed if this holds for some of the "herbs" that
have less-than-truly-compound leaves...such as tomato.  In some
of these, I think the leaf looks compound but is really a lobed
simple leaf and lacks abscission zones for at least some of the
lobes.  Thus there could be "exceptions" to the rule you have
discovered.

Sounds real equivocal, no?

ross

 \ Ross Koning                                  \
  \ Biology Department                           \
   \ Eastern CT State University                  \
    \ Willimantic, CT  06226  USA                  \
     \ Koning at ecsuc.ctstateu.edu                    \
      \ http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/default.html \
       \ Phone: 860-465-5327                          \
        ) Fax: 860-465-5213                            )