Christmas Trees and other festive plants

Bob Vickery vickery at JOLT.MPX.COM.AU
Wed Nov 29 02:30:08 EST 1995

Clive cornford wrote:
>Hi
>I am preparing a public lecture on  plants associated with
>Christmas. My aim is to use the occasion to feature some underlying biology
>eg. use mistletoe to talk about parasitism, christmas flowering
>plants for photoperiodism, juvenile and adult leaf forms etc. If
>anyone has any interesting anecdotes, examples and
>suggestions, local customs etc, please email me.
>Many Thanks

You might like to mention the Western Australian Christmas Tree, Nuytsia
floribunda (Loranthaceae) since it is both a christmas tree and a
mistletoe.
It is an evergreen tree growing to a height of 10m with masses of orange
golden flowers at Christmas time.  It parasitises the roots of a range of
trees and has been known to attack coax cables. It is native to light,
sandy soils of SW Western Australia. It can be propagated from stem and
root cuttings provided that it has a host plant nearby.
Cheers

Bob Vickery
bob at acsusun.acsu.unsw.edu.au
vickery at mpx.com.au