"Leaves" on Moss Gametophytes

Janice M. Glime jmglime at MTU.EDU
Mon Apr 15 21:51:43 EST 1996

To David Oppenheim and other plant-edders,
  The leaves on mosses are called phyllids, but most bryologists simply
call them leaves.  You will find that most of the moss literature refers
to them as leaves.  I suspect they were dubbed leaves long before some
vascular botanist decided to narrow the definition to blades with vascular
tissue to distinguish "true" leaves from enations.  
 Janice M. Glime, Professor  (and bryologist)
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University
 Houghton, MI 49931-1295
 jmglime at mtu.edu
 FAX 906-487-3167 

More information about the Plant-ed mailing list