c-4 photosynthesis

Judy Brusslan bruss at csulb.edu
Thu Apr 25 00:32:56 EST 1996

HI.  I was just giving a lecture on C-4 photosynthesis, explaining how
rubisco in bundle sheath cells did not "see" very much O2, and one of
students asked a question I could not answer.  Why doesn't the O2 that is
formed in the mesophyll cells during photosynthesis travel through the
plasmodesmata to the bundle sheath cells?  There might be an obvious
answer that I have overlooked, any ideas would be helpful!  Thanks, Judy
Brusslan, California State University, Long Beach