Cytoplasmic streaming - summary

Dennis Bittisnich Dennis.Bittisnich at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Aug 6 01:38:22 EST 1996

To all those 14 people who replied to my query re. suitable plant material
for cytoplasmic streaming THANKS.

To share this knowledge I thought I would summarise the replies:

8 people suggested leaves of the aquatic plant Elodea which have
"impressive cyclosis of chloroplasts, big and fast enough to be seen in ANY
lab scope .. tried so far" .. for some reason I forgot this one.

3 people suggested onion bulb epidermis... which we find ok but a bit
difficult with marginal lab microscopes;

2 people suggested using pollen tubes - germinated using the hanging drop
technique (sp.  Lilly, Amarillis or Tobacco) .. have seen this in the past
and it is good - will re-try.

1 person suggested tomato trichomes... its winter down here but I will
germinate some in the glasshouse

2 people suggested giant cells of green algae Chara or Nitella ... have
used it in the past and good if students learn to distinguish streaming
from the myriad of chloroplasts.

Finally we looked at epidermis of Tradescantia leaves and noted that
subsidiary cells of stomatal complexes have a big nucleus and readilly
observable streaming.. need a fair 'scope though.

Hope this helps someone.

********************
Dr Dennis Bittisnich
Education Officer
Plant Science Centre
RSBS
Australian National University              ph   +61 6 249 2878
GPO Box 475                                       fax  +61 6 247 5896
e-mail:  dennis.bittisnich at anu.edu.au
WWW Site: http://biology.anu.edu.au/Groups/Plantsc/CRC.htm
Canberra     ACT     2601
AUSTRALIA