(none)

k.gould at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ k.gould at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Tue Aug 20 18:28:32 EST 1996

To:            plant-ed at net.bio.net
From:          dstarret at BIOLOGY.SEMO.EDU (Dr. David Starrett)
Subject:       (none)
Date:          20 Aug 1996 09:42:45 -0700

Plant-eders,

  Next week I will begin teaching an upper level plant anatomy course to
seniors and masters students here.  I have inherited a 30 year old
syllabus.
I will be using it as a guideline.  My question... Does anyone have any
suggestions/tips on teaching the course?  My worry is that 16 weeks of
looking at cross sections will be rather dry.  The syllabus basically
follows the chapter outlines in Fahn's book.  I want to spiff this class
up
a bit.  Any neat demos, techniques, etc?  Any batter way to teach than
simply regurgitating book material?  I am not trained as a plant
anatmoist
though I have had the class (14 years back) and have taught basic
anatomy in
intro botany classes.
  Any thoughts, suggestions, horror stories, etc. appreciated.  This is
two hr lec, 3 hr lab per week.
  Thanks

    Dave Starrett

My suggestion is to give it an "applied" emphasis.  Use plant anatomy as
a tool for students to discover the structure of things they eat, things
they see in supermarkets, materials used for construction, etc.

      Dr. Kevin S.Gould
      School of Biological Sciences
      University of Auckland
      ph:  64-9-3737599 ext 7298