plant ecology text

Doug Jensen doug_jensen at SMTPGTWY.BEREA.EDU
Thu Dec 12 14:42:50 EST 1996

    I just finished teaching a dendrology course for juniors and seniors with
Terrestrial Plant Ecology as the text.  Although I like the book, I do have two
complaints.
    First, I believe the coverage is a little too deep for my class because we
were mostly interested in forest ecology, and because our (including the
instructor) statistics is not as good as it should be to fully appreciate much
of what is presented in the book.  In my opinion, the coverage is more suited to
beginning graduate students.
    My second complaint is that most of the examples used in the book are from
the west coast.  My students come mainly from Appalachia, and they do not have
the life experience to make sense of what is presented in the text.
    I think I will try to use Spurr and Barnes (if it is still available) if I
teach this class again.  Nevertheless, my current class did get a good deal out
of Barbour, Burk, and Pitts.

Doug Jensen
Berea College