SIMULATION SOFTWARE

John E. Silvius SILVIUSJ at CEDARNET.CEDARVILLE.EDU
Sat Dec 21 13:36:28 EST 1996

Earlier this month, I asked:

"Can anyone recommend an IBM-compatible computer simulation of
photosynthesis and transpiration that has an interactive format?  I
have been using an old Apple-compatible program written by Dr. Gary
Hannan at Eastern Michigan Univ. which is quite good but our campus
Apple's have nearly all been "plucked or put into cold storage."

"The Hannan program generates data and graphs for transpiration rate
as a function of leaf length, stomatal density, stomatal radius,
stomatal depth; and environmental factors such as RH, temperature,
etc.  The beauty of the program is that students can really get into
it, test hypotheses, and see the effects of the interactions of
morphological factors and environment.

THANKS FOR THE NUMEROUS RESPONSES (SLIGHTLY EDITED) WHICH ARE AS
FOLLOWS:
FROM:  Chris Minor:

Logal puts out a simulation called Photosynthesis that I've used with
success.  I do use it on a Mac platform but I think I remember seeing
it
available for PC.  They also do Wings of Genetics, Population
Ecology, and
the Cardiovascular system with success.

Chris
V. Christine Minor                       <|
Biology Laboratory Coordinator            |___       _~@  _@
Iowa State University                     |~@ \   _ -\<,_-\<,_
154 Bessey Hall                           `(*)'--(*)x/---x/-(*)
Ames, IA 50011                                  (Team Tantrum)
515-294-8596                            ....no forced study abides in

http://mac1252.botany.iastate.edu/              a soul.    -Plato

*************
From:  Carl Pike
I can't really help, since we are a Mac campus.  But I am interested
if
anyone replies with a Mac application that does what you want.  I
think
I'll post a note to plant-ed asking for any such Mac programs.  I
have a
favor to ask of you though.  We have a programmer here who has been
able to
take Apple II programs and recode them for me for Mac.  could yousend
me a
copy of the program in Apple II?

Carl S. Pike                             (717) 291-3958
Department of Biology                    FAX (717) 399-4548
Franklin and Marshall College            Internet
C_PIKE at ACAD.FANDM.EDU
P.O. Box 3003
Lancaster, PA  17604-3003  USA

From:  DOUG LUSTER
Rogal has an interactive photosynthesis simulation software that is
quite nice
for high school to college students.  They can be reached at
1-800-LOGALUS.

Doug  Luster
Plant Physiologist
USDA-ARS, Foreign Disease-Weed Science Research
Bldg. 1301, Ft. Detrick
Frederick, MD 21702-5023
TEL (301) 619-7338
FAX (301) 619-2880

From:  Line Lapointe

Greenhat sofware produce a sofware called Plantmod 2.1.  It runs
under windows.  The address of the company is:
                        PO Box 1590
                        83 Jeffrey Street
                        Armidale NSW 2350
                        AUSTRALIA

                        FAX & phone: 61 67 712133
The main topics covered are light attenuation, photosynthesis,
transpiration, soil water content and leaf temperature (energy
balance).
Parameters that can be modulated include leaf length, wind speed,
relative
humidity of the air, air temperature, soil type, solar radiation, CO2
concentration, ...

You can produce a whole series of curves by changing one parameter
or many at a time.  It is not perfect but students seem to like it.

Good luck,
Line Lapointe
Departement de biologie
Universite Laval
Ste-Foy, Que., G1K 7P4

Tel: 418-656-2822
FAX: 418-656-2043

From:  William S. Cohen
I do not have an IBM-compatible program.  But, I think that it would
be a
good idea to put Gary Hannan in contact with John Jungck at Beloit
College,
the Project Director for BioQUEST, to determine if Hannan's program
could
become part of the BioQUEST library.  To my knowledge, there aren't
any
interactive plant physiology modules associated with BioQUEST! It is
Mac-based, but it is widely used at many colleges and universities.
William S. Cohen
Associate Director
School of Biological Sciences
University of Kentucky
101 Morgan Building
Lexington, KY 40506-0225
Voice: [606] 257 1030
Fax:   [606] 257 1717
E-mail: wscohen at pop.uky.edu

From:  Ross Koning to Carl Pike:

I am using the photosynthesis simulation from
Wings for Learning (Sunburst Communications)
which I bought in 1992 so my information here
could be out-of-date (1-800-321-7511 in Scotts
Valley, California USA 95067-0002).  The version
I have comes with the software and a disc of
exercises in Microsoft Word format.  I have
found the exercises to need some working over
(some considerable editing etc).  The software
is excellent, but has a few flaws (color vs wavelength
assignments in error, etc) that might be worked
out in newer versions.  The company has never
informed me of an upgrade but I hope one exists.
The software seems to be flexible enough so that
you could author your own parameter changes for
at least some of it quite easily.

Based on the version I have, I would say you would
want to walk-through the exercise worksheets with
the software and edit the worksheets accordingly
to suit your own objectives.

My discs are marked Macintosh version...leading me
to think that there might be an IBM version out there
too.

Finally, I'd add that I bought one of the Qubit
Photosynthesis units (leaf cuvette, oxygen electrode,
photon flux meter) for under $1000 US (613-545-6384
in Kingston, Ontario Canada K7L 3V2) for use in a
second exercise with a real leaf (the parallel project!)
and found it to be excellent.  Again some editing of
the worksheets was helpful, but the software and
hardware were outstanding!

I think after spending over an hour just to get the
photon flux-photosynthetic rate function made students
appreciate the simulation and time compression that
is possible there!  Nevertheless, working with a real
plant and measuring photosynthesis (and respiration)
in person was a valuable experience for them.  I plan
to keep both in my plant physiology course.

ross

Ross Koning                 | Koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Eastern CT State University | Phone: 860-465-5327
Willimantic, CT  06226  USA | Fax: 860-465-5213
____________________________|_________________________________

From:  Purdy Hall
I have used "Seedling", a computer similation of plant growth, by
Robert
J. Kosinski, which I got as part of a package from Worth Publishers,
in 1990.
We use Raven, Evert and Eichhorn text, and it was advertised with
that.  It
might not be as pertinent, or as sophisticated, a program as you are
looking for, but it has some useful aspects.

I'll be interested to know what other suggestions you get.  Could you
consider compiling a list and posting on the Plant Ed board?

Good luck.
Prudy Hall
Department of Biology
Hiram College