potatoes

Anne Heise aheise at ORCHARD.WASHTENAW.CC.MI.US
Wed Feb 7 22:15:18 EST 1996

Hello --

I'm rejoining this whatever-it's-called after a 2 year hiatus during
which my school FINALLY got internet connections for us! I teach at
Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor MI, and am teaching botany again
after a three-semester break.  I've found old plant-ed messages useful in
getting the class going again.

I have a student who wants to know exactly what's happening as a potato
expands.  He also wants to know if a plant benefits at all when it makes
a gall or any swelling due to infection by a microorganism.  (In other
words, it may be clear that the insect or pathogen benefits if the plant
tissues enlarge, but would the plant be worse off if it didn't enlarge?)

Thanks for any ideas you have!

Anne Heise
Washtenaw Community College
4800 E. Huron River Dr. P.O.Box D-1