Anthoceros Tissue Culture

Ross Koning Koning at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU
Fri Feb 9 11:00:42 EST 1996

I am looking for media recipes for culturing
Anthoceros (Hornwort) gametophytes on agar.

I have already tried a modified Knopp's
medium (contains KCl) that I use routinely
for Marchantia (liverwort), and the explants
die within a few hours/days.  I am not sure
whether this is Cl- toxicity or perhaps a
pH problem.  Knopp's runs about pH 5.5.
Rather than doing a pH series and a Cl series,
I thought someone on the net could help.

Does anyone culture Anthoceros out there, and
what recipe and pH do you use?

ross

 \ Ross Koning                                  \
  \ Biology Department                           \
   \ Eastern CT State University                  \
    \ Willimantic, CT  06226  USA                  \
     \ Koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu                     \
      \ http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/default.html \
       \ Phone: 860-465-5327                          \
        ) Fax: 860-465-5213                            )