Teaching Photosynthesis in General Biology

Martha Phillips mmphillips at ALEX.STKATE.EDU
Mon Feb 12 09:10:02 EST 1996

Thanks to all of you who replied to my query about teaching photosynthesis in
General Biology.  This is a compilation of the replies, not including those that
were also sent directly to the newsgroup.

My original message was:

> I'm preparing/revising my lectures on photosynthesis for my General
> Biology class and I am (again) wondering what to do with cyclic versus
> noncyclic electron flow -- from past experience, a good portion of the
> students never quite get the difference or why it matters.  (And I'm
> not sure that is should matter to the intro. student.)  I'm curious
> about how others deal with the topic at the introductory level.  My
> current text discusses cyclic electron flow and then noncyclic --
> following historical rather than functional logic.  I'm wondering if
> it will make a difference to present the noncyclic pathway, without
> necessarily calling it that, and then discuss cyclic photophosphorylation
> as a supplement to noncyclic and as the first to evolve,most likely.
> Have people had better success with this approach?

>I am also going to have my students work with a photosynthesis simulation
>program:  Biology Explorer: Photosynthesis.  This is my first time using
>it.  Have others used it and do you have comments on its strengths and
>weaknesses, the exercises you've used, etc??

>Thanks,
>Martha Phillips
>Biology Dept.
>College of St. Catherine