Help,please -- biochem./microbio. start-up funds?

Margaret A. Kuchenreuther kuchenma at CAA.MRS.UMN.EDU
Mon Feb 12 11:43:01 EST 1996

Greetings,

The Biology Discipline here at the University of Minnesota-Morris is currently
reviewing applications for a tenure track Biochemist/Microbiologist.  We are a
small, public liberal arts college (c. 2000 students).  The successful candidate
will be expected to conduct research that involves students, and publish in
refereed journals.

In these tight budgetary times, start-up funds for this position are an issue
for us.  (Especially important in this case the fact that the new person is
replacing a retiring faculty person who was hired in a era when research was not
part of the mix of job responsibilities.  Hence, we're starting from essentially
zero in terms of lab equipment -- except for common equipment, like centrifuges,
etc.)  So my question is:  What ballpark figure for start-up should we expect to
be dealing with here?  I would appreciate responses from people who have
recently hired biochemists or microbiologists.

Thanks for your help.  To avoid cluttering everyone's mail, please respond to me
personally at the email address below and I will post a summary of responses.

Margaret A. Kuchenreuther
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Science and Mathematics
University of Minnesota - Morris
Morris, MN  56267

Phone: (612) 589-6335 or -6300 (message)
email:  kuchenma at caa.mrs.umn.edu