Courses in Urban Plant Ecology

Peter H. Velguth velguth at CALSHP.CALS.WISC.EDU
Tue Feb 20 21:05:14 EST 1996

        I am proposing to offer a course in urban plant ecology in the
Department of Horticulture here.  I would hope to attract students
interested not only in horticulture, but also from those with interests in
landscape architecture and restoration ecology as well.  In order to attract
the most students, I'd only require that students have an introductory
biology or botany class.  I understand that this field is more highly
developed in Europe.  Does anyone teach a related course or have leads to
courses at other Colleges and Universities?  My goal at its simplest is to
examine what is known about urban ecosystems and the role plants play in
those ecosystems.  What are the relationships of planned plantings as well
as  "natural" plants to other components of the urban ecosystem?  What
benefits do plants provide?  Can this understanding be useful in fields
involved in landscape design and management?  --or in urban planning decisions?
        I would like to understand what others present (via outline/
syllabus) in related courses to assist in planning and development of my own
course.  Any suggestion is welcome and I will gladly share responses with
others who are interested.
Thank you,

Peter Velguth
Scientist