Experiments with Red/Far Red light

John Hewitson 100600.70 at compuserve.com
Wed Feb 28 02:29:52 EST 1996

I am looking for simple experiments to demonstrate Red/Far Red effects in
plants.

I can trigger the germination of Grand Rapids Lettuce with the help of filters
to produce Red light and can reverse it with Far-Red filters, and I would be
interested to know what other folk use for this.

I have had less success demonstrating the control of morphogenesis. Etiolation,
leaf expansion, plumule unhooking etc.

Which plant material is best?
How strong a light do you use?
Which filters, or what light source?
Is your experiment simple enough for individual students to do their own, or do
you organise a class demonstration?
Perhaps you would like to suggest a likely combination to try, even though you
don't do it routinely?

Thanks.

| Dr. John Hewitson                                                        |
| Berrystead Barn				+44 1832 272209 phone/fax  |
| Oundle,                                                                  |
| Peterborough, PE8 4DY, UK 	     	  e-mail 100600.70 at compuserve.com  |
(Biology Department, Oundle School, Oundle, Peterborough, UK)