Teaching postdocs-2

jperry at UWCMAIL.UWC.EDU jperry at UWCMAIL.UWC.EDU
Fri Jan 5 13:39:47 EST 1996

At the time I was a doctoral student at UWis, Madison, all PhD students in
botany were required to have at least one semester of teaching experience. One
of my peers was on a research assistantship for the duration of her doctoral
studies, but she was still required to teach a lab in Intro Botany. Thus while
she was supported as an RA, she did TA duties for the semester.

Madison has paid considerably more attention to undergraduate instruction
over the near past. They provide (I beleive) a required course in teaching --
not from the education department, but (again I believe) from a group of
diciplinary professionals dedicated to undergraduate teaching. There is also
now a spoken English requirement at Madison, due to complaints in the past by
students having problems understanding their recently arrive foreign TAs.

At my former institution (a comprehensive four year offering a MS in Biology,
among other disciplines), I taught a graduate course required of all students,
on teaching biology. I used the book created at Madison, although much of the
book seemed kind of hokey (the perils of having sex with your students, etc.).
In my course we talked about the goals of teaching, methodology and
assessment, lecture/quiz construction, lab practical construction, etc. It was
a graded course (I recall one grad student who never forgave me for assigning
him a B and another who threatened lawsuit because the B she got might keep
her out of med school). I also observed these teaching students in the
classroom (they each taught one or more labs of our large intro biology
course, and I taught lab sections as well), looking for recognized sound
teaching behaviors more than the correct information being provided. We
watched a *really* hokey video once showing a TA sitting with his feet up on
the desk reading a newspaper, obviously not wanting to be bothered by
students. (Unfortunately, I had one faculty colleague that could have profited
by seeing that video!)

I did not see any other posted responses concerning "teaching post docs." I'd
like to see what those responses were, if they can be shared. This one may be,
if useful.

Jim Perry
UW Fox Valley