(none)

farishg at CC4.ADAMS.EDU farishg at CC4.ADAMS.EDU
Tue Jan 9 11:43:04 EST 1996

>From farishg Tue Jan  9 09:46:20 0700 1996 remote from cc4.adams.edu
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 09:46:20 -0700 (MST)
From: Guy Farish <farishg at cc4.adams.edu>
To: plant-ed at net.bio.net
Subject: Re: algae pigment extraction

Just a word of warning if your try the recent protocol posted, pet-ether
is very flammable.  If you use a Waring blender to homogenize your
tissue, be careful that you don't go "over the top" and allow ether to
spill on the base of the blender.  The electric motor produces a spark
that can ignite the ether and you get a spectacular benchtop fire!  Trust
me, I've seen it happen and it's worth missing!

Good luck,  -Guy

Guy Farish
Biology Department
Adams State College