essays on plants

David R. Hershey dh321 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Mon Jan 15 23:56:28 EST 1996

Popular plant biology articles/essays can be found in Scientific American,
Natural History, Discover, Audubon, American Scientist, National
Geographic, Science News, BioScience, New Scientist, and Endeavour.

There are many coffee table books on plants that have lots of color
photos so are generally more interesting reading than texts. Some have
even been written by scientists. Some of my favorites are

Slack, Adrian. 1980. Carnivorous plants. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.

Attenborough, David. 1995. The private life of plants. Princeton
University Press, Princeton, NJ. [Companion book to the excellent
6-episode BBC series, but with a few oversimplifications.]

Hewes, Jeremy Joan. 1981. Redwoods, the world's largest trees. Gallery
Books, New York.

Meeuse, Bastiaan and Sean Morris. 1984. The sex life of flowers. Facts on
File, New York. [Companion book to the Nature episode.]

Wilkins, Malcolm. 1988. Plantwatching: How plants remember, tell time,
form relationships and more. Facts on file, New York. [A color
version of a plant physiology text, available for $12.95 from Edward R.
Hamilton, Falls Village, CT 06031-5000 who sells discount books].

Huxley, Anthony. 1985. Green inheritance: The World Wildlife Fund Book of
Plants. Anchor Press, New York.

Went, Fritz W. 1963. The plants. Time, New York. [Maybe a bit dated but
well-written by a famous plant physiologist].

Murphy, Wendy. 1984. The future world of agriculture: Walt Disney World
EPCOT Center book Grolier, CT. [Book sold at the popular Land exhibit
featuring hydroponics].

Camus, Josephine M., A. Clive Hermy, and Barry A. Thomas. 1991. A world
of ferns. Natural History Museum Publications, New York.

Lewington, Anna. 1990. Plants for people. Oxford University Press, New
York. [A colorful economic botany book written for nonscientists].

Rix, Martyn. 1981. The art of botanical illustration. Arch Cape Press,
New York. [With a few inaccuracies, but lots of spectacular illustrations
from old herbals and florilegia].

David R. Hershey

Snail mail: 6700 Belcrest Road #112, Hyattsville, MD 20782-1398

Adjunct Professor, Biology/Horticulture Department
Prince George's Community College, Largo, MD 20772-2199

Email: dh321 at pgstumail.pg.cc.md.us