EMF

Linneaus00 at aol.com Linneaus00 at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 05:12:03 EST 1996

Ross wrote:

I have no experience with this except in judging a science fair once.  The
problem with EMF is that it penetrates many normal containers...thus a
critical element of the design is to be sure that the control plants are kept
sufficiently out of the
EMF.  This poses problems in terms of equal lighting, temperature, watering,
etc. between EMF treated plants and the controls.  In the case of the project
I judged, the two sets of plants were displayed in adjacent plastic
containers.  I asked the student if he thought the controls were sufficiently
away from the huge alnico magnets in the adjacent bin, and was his fair
display exactly the way it was at home.  He said it was.  I dropped my
pocketknife into the control bin and it slammed up on the side wall.  The
student understood the problem.  My thought (unexpressed) was, where is the
mentor for this project?  Please understand I am not saying you would make
this mistake, Diane, but it is an important part of setting up such a project
that at least one high-school mentor in my past did fail to observe.

ross

What was the result--not that it is signigicant but just out of curiosity? I
too saw a project involving electricity and plants. The student used a small
battery to create a slight field in the tray in which the experimental plants
grew. They did MUCH better than the controls. There were not many plants, as
I remember, and I can't say much about what the actual circumstances of the
'experiment' were but it made me wonder. I can't imagine that much of the
small electromagnetic field generated by his apparatus escaped into the
control tray. On the other hand, I can't see exactly how it could do any good
to the experimentals either. My feeling at the time was that unless the
student had cheated (deliberately stunted the controls) something must have
gone on.

Dave Williams
Linneaus00 at aol.com