Plant Action Potentials

Alyson Tobin at6 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Jan 30 12:56:06 EST 1996

We are about to try- for the first time- the experiment described in Carol
Reiss's book which measures action potentials in Mimosa and Venus Fly trap.
The apparatus involves connecting silver wire to the petiole with Elmers
glue. Can anyone tell me what this is and where I might obtain some from.
Is there anything else that would work- e.g. soaking cotton wool in KCl to
act as a bridge between plant and electrode. My other query is with the
junction box. Is this simply a means of connecting the silver wire to the
copper wire or am I missing something here? Any tips from anyone who has
run this lab would be much appreciated.
Alyson Tobin