Plant Action Potentials

Ross Koning Koning at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU
Wed Jan 31 15:05:22 EST 1996

At  9:56 AM 1/30/96 -0800, Alyson Tobin wrote:
>We are about to try- for the first time- the experiment described in Carol
>Reiss's book which measures action potentials in Mimosa and Venus Fly trap.
>The apparatus involves connecting silver wire to the petiole with Elmers
>glue. Can anyone tell me what this is and where I might obtain some from.
>Is there anything else that would work- e.g. soaking cotton wool in KCl to
>act as a bridge between plant and electrode. My other query is with the
>junction box. Is this simply a means of connecting the silver wire to the
>copper wire or am I missing something here? Any tips from anyone who has
>run this lab would be much appreciated.
>Alyson Tobin

I have not run this lab so I cannot comment.

Elmer's glue is a Borden product that is, I believe,
a polyvinyl glue.  It is also known here as "white glue".
It is a water-based white liquid that forms an amazingly strong
bond that hardens to a translucent state.  It is used by
woodworkers to bond wood.  Its disadvantage is that the
bond is weakened by water.  It is sold in stationery
stores and hardware stores...even grocery stores.  In
schools it is used for art classes...a design is made
with the glue on paper and glitter is sprinkled onto it.
etc. etc.

ross

 \ Ross Koning                                  \
  \ Biology Department                           \
   \ Eastern CT State University                  \
    \ Willimantic, CT  06226  USA                  \
     \ Koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu                     \
      \ http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/default.html \
       \ Phone: 860-465-5327                          \
        ) Fax: 860-465-5213                            )