Seed germination experiment

David L. Robinson dlrobi02 at HOMER.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Sat Jul 13 17:33:11 EST 1996

Richard:

Try dandelion seed. Its plentiful in the spring and fall months, easy
to gather, and cheap! Since dandelion is an apomictic plant the seed
from one inflorescence should be highly homogenous. One seed head can
yield 100-200 seed. Dandelion seed germinates immediately after reaching
maturity...it has no after-ripening requirements. I have kept seed in a
ziplock bag in a refrigerator for 2 years that still had extremely high
germination. Germination is very rapid.

As for comparison, why not harvest other weedy plant species? Weed seed
is very abundant this time of year, and are generally very easy to
germinate and they grow fast....afterall, that is why they are weeds.

Considering that more than 65% of the agricultural chemicals used in the
U.S. are herbicides these species are worth studying too!

Dave Robinson
Bellarmine College