teaching post doc

Janice M. Glime jmglime at MTU.EDU
Fri Jun 28 10:51:36 EST 1996

  It is time this thread got at least a little positive note in it.  I do
not agree that research is the only criterion being used to decide on new
hires.  I am teaching at a research university, but it is also a
university with a good reputation for undergraduate teaching, and our
provost and president consider teaching important.  They have turned
around the thinking of our deans following several provosts who have
placed strong emphasis on research.  Yes, research is still important too
(faculty have to be good at both now), but teaching is being rewarded in
the p&t system and more recognition is being given to it.
  In our recent hire, we did not consider people with no teaching
experience.  All applicants interviewed had to have references indicating
good teaching and an expressed desire to teach at lower levels as well as
upper levels.  After that filter, the research became the important separator.
  So don't give up hope in the university system.  I have heard colleagues
at a number of schools say that good teaching was being considered
important.  More schools are attempting to evaluate it, to revise
curricula, and to provide in-service training for teachers.
  Yes, we do have too many Ph. D.'s - an advantage for the employers, but
a strong disadvantage for the many good people who have spent so much time
preparing for a dream they can't realize.
Janice
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University