infecting kalanchoe with agrobacterium

Ross Koning Koning at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU
Mon Mar 18 12:06:56 EST 1996

At  8:01 AM 3/18/96 -0800, Rich Glick wrote:
>Can anybody offer advice about the best way to infect Kalanchoe plants
>with Agrobacterium to demonstrate gall formation for a botany lab
>exercise? Also, about how much time does it take for the gall to appear?
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rich,

When I was at Univ Michigan (1970s) we did it
with a dissecting needle.  Flame sterilize it,
stab the tube culture (slant) of Agro, stab the
plant stem.  We used sunflower and, as I recall,
it only took one week to observe considerable
swelling.  By two weeks there was an obvious
tumor present.  I don't know if Kalanchoe would
be faster or slower.  If memory serves me right
sunflower is C-4 and rapid-growing...Kalanchoe
is CAM and slower-growing.  I don't know if those
would influence the rate of tumor formation or not.

Good Luck!

ross

 \ Ross Koning                                  \
  \ Biology Department                           \
   \ Eastern CT State University                  \
    \ Willimantic, CT  06226  USA                  \
     \ Koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu                     \
      \ http://koning.ecsu.ctstateu.edu/default.html \
       \ Phone: 860-465-5327                          \
        ) Fax: 860-465-5213                            )