Possible Textbook

Deborah Cook dcook at CAU.EDU
Wed Mar 27 18:43:09 EST 1996

I've been using Hopkins with some degree of success. I have a similar
problem with my students. All of those texts are just too much for them.  I
don't like Hopkins' treatment of photosynthesis.  It's too divided up.  He
could have left out all the physics on light for me among other things.
The art work could be alot better.  Even thought plant physiology is a
specialized course, my students come into it having used Campbell for gbio
and Prescott for micro which all have slick graphics. The problem with
fancy artwork is that the cost of the book goes up.  Meaning that compared
with some enormous, slick gbio book that the publisher prints zillions of
copies of for zillions of dollars in sales actually costs less than a plant
physiology text.  Hopkins cost over $70 as compared with Campbell at
$40-60 (used-new).  I've considered from time to time teaching plant
physiology without a text per se and using the information in comprehensive
gbio books or those sections of gbotany texts that are appropriate for
plant physiology.
Deb Cook