Evolution of monocots vs dicots

David R. Hershey dh321 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Sat Nov 16 20:45:02 EST 1996

I am a physiologist rather than an evolutionary scientist so I don't know
if I am on firm ground. The loss of a cotyledon to go from monocot to
dicot might be related to their usually hypogeous germination. In corn,
the cotyledon remains inside the seed and functions in absorption rather
than being carried above the ground (epigeous) and functioning in
photosynthesis. Bean is rather atypical in this regard because the
cotyledons are not as leaflike as in most common dicots. Of course quite a
few dicots are also hypogeous.

The difference in leaf venation between monocots and dicots is also usually
stressed. The so-called parallel venation of monocots seems a necessity for
leaves which elongate from their bases, like amaryllis and grasses. The
advantage to the plant is that the meristem is protected from grazing by
being located low to the ground or underground.

David R. Hershey

Snail mail: 6700 Belcrest Road #112, Hyattsville, MD 20782-1340

Adjunct Professor, Biology/Horticulture Department
Prince George's Community College, Largo, MD 20772-2199

Email: dh321 at pgstumail.pg.cc.md.us