monoecious

doug jensen doug_jensen at SMTPGTWY.BEREA.EDU
Wed Nov 20 15:09:34 EST 1996

I understand that Rhamnus cathartica and R. frangula are polygamodioecious.  I
don't know what might be polygamomonoecious.

The real reason I'm writing is because I worry that, with the overabundance of
terms regarding plant sexuality and the urge to apply one of them to each plant,
we may be ignoring a further difference among plants.  Some of them change sex
and thus change from one term to another.  Of course, the way botany is, we
probably have a term that represents each possible type of sexual transformation
and the frequency of the transformation.  Let's see--what's semi-annually
androdioeciously-gamomonoecious?  If these terms do exist, they are probably in
Radford, Dickison, Massey and Bell's text (the phonebook-style one, not
Radford's green text).

Doug Jensen

What would be some examples of polygamo-monecious, dioecious plants??  I
am curious.

D. Haas