monoecious?

Scott Shumway Scott_Shumway at wheatonma.edu
Fri Nov 22 12:14:07 EST 1996

Thanks to all the people who responded to my question about whether plants
with perfect flowers should be considered monoecious.  The majority of
and that plants with unisexual flowers are either monoecious or dioecious.
However, I would like to share the following three responses, perhaps for
further discussion...

A "majority" response"
"> Using the term monoecious to refer to bisexual plants with unisexual
> flowers, and not for plants with bisexual flowers makes a lot of sense to
> me precisely because it conveys the idea that the flowers are unisexual,
> and thus have a fundamentally different breeding system compared to plants
> with bisexual flowers."

Two "minority" opinions"
"My use of the term "monoecious" encompasses perfect and imperfect flowers
since both types occur on the same plant."

"Inasmuch as "monoecious" tranlates generally as "one house", why
would you think the answer is "no"? My interpretation has always been that
all the sexes are under one roof, and thus monoecious plants would include
those angiosperms with perfect flowers."

Thanks again.- Scott

Scott Shumway
Dept. of Biology
Wheaton College