trees leaves and fall color

Carol Auer CAUER at
Mon Oct 7 08:22:30 EST 1996

I am looking for an article or reference on why leaves turn colors.
It would be best if the article wasn't very technical, but contained
current thoughts on the phenomena.   I get phone calls and visitors
 asking about fall color and I would like to be able to provide  a
simple, factual  article.

I know many faculty  experience  these requests  every  year, so I was
hoping that  someone would have a suggestion.

Carol Auer               Email: cauer at
Dept. of Plant Science   Phone: 860-486-1878
Univ. of Connecticut
Storrs, CT USA 06269