Plant's Name

Janice M. Glime jmglime at MTU.EDU
Tue Apr 1 10:49:38 EST 1997

> Can you send me some imformation about I.C.N.B (International Code of
> Nomenclature Botanica)?
The International Botanical Congress meets every 6 years at an
international open meeting.  Botanists from all over the world contribute
to the discussions.  I went to a meeting nearly 30 years ago, but I am not
a member of the international association.
 > > Who accept the plant's name? > The International Botanical Congress
makes rules and also rules on conserving names that have been in long use
but that turn out to be illegitimate because an older name has been found.
They do not decide what someone should name a new species or whether two
groups of taxa are the same or two different species.  That is done by the
practicing botanists and their usage of new organization of the taxon.
For example, if you decided that corn and wheat were the same species, AND
managed to get them published as a single species in a journal, but no one
else followed your new classification, then the two would still be named
as two species.
 Where is this commite
> Where can I find the new plant's name?
A new name must be published, along with a Latin description and reference
to the herbarium specimens of the plant used when you described it.  One
specimen must be designated as the type and all characters in the
description must fit that specimen, i.e., you use it to determine species
characters.  The person describing it determines its appropriate genus ans
assigns a species name, making sure that the name has not already been
used, even if for a fossil or as an illegitimate name.
  Following the meeting, a new publication, International Code of
Botanical Nomenclature, is published in at least 3 languages.
 > > etc. >
I hope this helps.  I am not a systematist, but do teach plant taxonomy.
Janice
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University