growth rates of CAM plants

sctkr at staffs.ac.uk sctkr at staffs.ac.uk
Wed Apr 23 02:41:46 EST 1997

On 22 Apr 1997 22:39:07 -0700 "Joseph.Holtum" <joseph.holtum at jcu.edu.au>
wrote:
>Re Ross Koning's statement on the speed of growth by CAM plants:
>
>The growth of CAM plants that take their CO2 in solely during the night
>(i.e. are operating solely in a CAM mode) is limited by the size of the
>vacuole (into which they stuff the malic acid) and the concentration
>gradient against which they can pump malic acid.

Etc
One day I will read all my mail before replying.
Little extra bit regarding commercial CAM, these are often faculative with Pineapple
being a prime example. C3 when the going is good and CAM when it is harsher.

Should also mention the CAM cycling plants which appear to do both C3 and acid
accumulation overnight, can cut water loss by 44%.

Dr Kevin Reiling
Division of Biology
Staffordshire University
ST4 2DE