Historical Spice Plant Question

Stefanie Marie Galgon smg4 at DANA.UCC.NAU.EDU
Thu Apr 24 16:21:49 EST 1997

Shane,

What we call allspice are the drupes of a tall tree that grows largely in
tropical Americas.  The tree sheds its outer bark every year, lanceolate
leaves 10 cm long, dark green on top and lighter below.  The leaves
contain the aromatic constituents that the drupes do, primarily eugenol
(also found in clove).  A tree can produce 30-40 kg berries per year.

Species name: Pimenta dioica (formerly P. officinalis)
Family: Myrtaceae
Spicy part: unripe berries (drupes)
Origin: West Indies and Central America
Cultivation: Jamaica, Cuba, Lesser Antilles, Trinidad, Mexico, Honduras

Information from The Lore of Spices, J.O Swahn, Crescent Books, 1991

Hope this helps,

Stefanie

Stefanie Galgon			lab/message: (520) 523-7735
Department of Biology
Northern Arizona University	smg4 at dana.ucc.nau.edu

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"
Auntie Mame