chlorophyll concentrations

Michael O'Donnell michael.odonnell at MAIL.CC.TRINCOLL.EDU
Mon Aug 4 12:05:50 EST 1997

Scott Shumway asked:
>I am developing a laboratory exercise for an introductory biology class and
>would like to measure primary productivity in a pond.  Can anyone provide a
>protocol or references for measuring chlorophyll concentrations suitable
>for an undergraduate teaching lab?  THank you.

Check out Field and Laboratory Methods for General Ecology, by James Brower
and Jerrold Zar (Wm. C. Brown Publ.).  As I recall (I no longer have the
book), there is a chapter on measuring productivity in aquatic ecosystems
(both micro and macro) that includes info on chlorophyll measurements.

Good luck!  (I'll look again to see if I can find the Brower and Zar book here)

Mike O'Donnell

Michael A. O'Donnell                           (\__/)  ."    ". )) *
Dept. of Biology                               /O 0  ./      .'    *
Trinity College                               {O__,   \    {       *
300 Summit St.                                  / .  .  )   \      *
Hartford, CT  06106-3100                        |-|  '-' \   }     *
michael.odonnell at mail.trincoll.edu             .(   _(   )_.'      *
http://www2.trincoll.edu/~odonnell/           '---."_ _ _&         *
phone: (860)297-2228                                               *
fax:  (860)297-2538                                                *