How to kill a 15 meters high tree ?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Mon Aug 4 10:40:52 EST 1997

> Jacques Kolly wrote:
> >
> > As I told in a previous message, I have a tree (a poplar) whose root system
> > threatens to damage my house, and more likely the water pipe.
> > Cutting the tree down seems difficult because there is not enough place
> > around to make the tree fall down smoothly.
> > Anyway, my main concern is: Will the root system stop growing as soon as
> > the tree has been cut ? (I don't think so, though I don't know really.)
> > And is there a (chemical ?) means to definitely stop the root system from
> > growing, -killing the tree-, without damaging the nearby environment?

Don't know if your questions have been answered, but.  Treatment of the
cut stump, or of the standing tree, with a herbicide will kill the tree,
roots and all.  Stump treatment with any of the "brush control"
chemicals will kill the roots, and prevent sprouts.  Ammate (ammonium
sulfamate) is one stump treatment.  Follow the directions on the
container and you will not pollute the environs.
--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/