bio workloads

Ken Cameron Cameronkm at RASCAL.GUILFORD.EDU
Wed Aug 6 06:38:18 EST 1997

Dear Biologists,

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my survey of last month
regarding science workloads vs. non-scienc workloads at various
institutions.  As of today, I have received 63 replies (primarily from
liberal arts colleges) and boy are they interesting!

I am currently out of the country and am in the process of compiling the
data.  I expect to be able to post the results by mid-Spetember and have
even considered presenting these data at a professional meeting or
publishing them in some form, since this seems to be a 'taboo' topic of
great interest.  If you would still like to respond, I'd gladly take any
extra information.

I feel quite confident that I will be able to convince my administrators
that my workload (3 lectures and 3 lab sections per semester) is
completely out of step with most US colleges.  The majority of you seem
to be opperating under a system of 12 contact hours or less per semester
in which hours in the laboratory are generally counted as equal to those
in the classroom.  However, the methods of counting hours are all over
the board as you might expect.

Thanks again, and enjoy what's left of summer!

Ken Cameron, Ph.D.
Dept. of Biology
Guilford College
Greensboro, NC  27410